Friday, July 27, 2012

Baby Songs

My sister is getting married in January and has a blog where she is writing about all her wedding plans. Her latest post was about wedding songs! Music is a major part of my life and one of my favorite things to do is see live music. So I thought I would talk about my "Carya Songs" (especially since my sister and I have an overlap!) so I can remember all the songs that make me think of her at this age.

I have always made baby CDs for friends with new babies and have a growing library of "baby songs" since about 2000/2002 when my first friends (coworkers) started having babies. Most of these were not in the library prior to 2011 so are very Carya specific-- and are also strangely love songs... Which I guess is appropriate, you can never understand the love you have for a child until you have one of your own. It is kind of like falling in love, with a stranger.

1) Ingrid Michaelson- Keep Warm
I found out I was pregnant Thursday March 31, 2011. That weekend I saw Ingrid Michaelson live and she played this song. I had never heard it before and I started crying because the gravity of my new status set in-- I had this little being inside me and I now had to take care of it and keep it warm. This is my #1 baby Carya song.

"Eyes on the prize and I can't capsize this time
'cause there's somebody else in my boat 
Used to live alone in a tomb I made my own
But now I've gone and given up my coat 
And it's cold outside but I'm just fine

You are mine to keep warm 
Down down down I go

On a road that I don't know
And I ain't got a thing in my bag
Some things you can not plan
Like your hand in mine Just put your hand in mine 
And it's cold outside but I'm just fine You are mine to keep warm

Yeah it's cold outside but I'm just fine You are mine to keep warm 
Sables and wine till the end of time you give me much more than that

Diamond rings and beautiful things Oh you give me much more than that
When you smile 
You are mine to keep warm

And it's cold outside but I'm just fine You are mine to keep warm"

2) Cave Singers- Helen
That same weekend I saw the Cave Singers live and they opened with this song. Helen was a name contender from the beginning as both of Travis' grandmothers were Helen. They were both strong, amazing women and Carya is lucky to have the honor of having this name as her middle name. If people would hear this song when they heard the name Helen I think it would be much a more popular name! I love this song.
"Helen, your eyes are frozen in my brain"

3) Lesley Gore- Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows
This is actually the inspiration song for Carya's first birthday party (parties?!). I have a TON of sunshine, lollipop and rainbow themed things pinned in my pinterest page. A very happy song for a very happy girl.
"everything that is wonderful is what I feel when we're together...."

4) Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, and Allison Krauss- Didn't leave nobody but the baby
This is Carya's lullaby. She quiets down every.single.time she hears this song. On a long drive recently I think we listened to this song 50 times. And to make matters worse, I still jumble the verses up! *Also has been on the baby lullaby CDs from the beginning!
"go to sleep you little baby..."

5) The Dejas- Beneath You
A local Boston band. I went to see them because a friend of a friend was dating the lead singer and I fell in love with this song. On the album they play it with a banjo and I am a sucker for banjos!
"...if you ever fall down, I will am the ground, beneath you."

6) Jonsi- Go Do
Ok maybe not a baby song, per se, but I wanted this song playing when she was born. It did not happen but I listened to it a ton when I was pregnant! I am sure it got through to her :)

7) The Be Good Tanyas- The Littlest Birds
I have loved this song for a while. It is a good baby song!

8) Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros- Man on Fire
One of our favorites right now. You can even see us singing it in the car together. I am a little embarrassed about this video but I think it would be something (maybe) Carya would appreciate later in life. So it is immortalized on youtube (well until youtube goes away ;-)) for her to enjoy. Crazy parents! I also have another blog (I know, how many blogs can one girl have?!) whose title is in honor of this song.

9) The Lumineers- Ho Hey
I love this song right now.
"I belong with you, you belong with me"

10) Mumford and Sons- Timshel
This is easily my favorite song off their first album and one of my favorite pregnancy moments occurred while this song was playing. Travis and I were cleaning (prepping the baby room/putting laundry away/making paths to essential places in the apartment) and I was being especially hormonal/bratty/snotty and barking orders at him. But instead of snapping back, he looked at me and sang along with the song "You are not alone in this, you are not alone..." Of course that made me cry but it added a nice perspective to the moment.
"You are the mother, the mother of your baby child, the one to whom you gave life..."

11) Seldom Scene- Hello Mary Lou
Please ignore this video, not a popular youtube song apparently! I think this will be a fun song for a little girl raised to appreciate bluegrass and banjos!

12) Sarah Jarosz- My Muse
Peaceful love song.

13) Fiona Apple- Everyday
Yes, a Buddy Holly song but I really like this version too. It has a more childish sound to it.

14) Iron and Wine- Tree by the River
There has to be at least one tree song in this mix! Travis and I are big fans of the new I&W album and this is probably our favorite song off of it.

My mix actually has quite a few more songs on it, but I think this is a good covering of the feel of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment